HeyLama GmbH develops and maintains the HeyLama website and app(s). We are language learning enthusiasts on a mission to make language learning effective. Hereafter, we refer to ourselves as “Heylama” or “we”, the app is referred to as “HeyLama app”, the blog and landing pages as “HeyLama website(s)”.
Your privacy is important to us. It is HeyLama's policy to respect your privacy regarding any information we may collect from you through our app or websites. We only ask for personal information when we truly need it to provide a service to you. This document clarifies why we’re collecting it and how it will be used.
We only retain collected information for as long as necessary to provide you with your requested service. What data we store, we’ll protect within acceptable means to prevent loss and theft, as well as unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification. We don’t share any personally identifying information publicly or with third-parties, except when required to by law.
Our app and websites may link to external sites that are not operated by us. Please be aware that we have no control over the content and practices of these sites, and cannot accept responsibility or liability for their respective privacy policies. That said, we only use trusted and established third-party products and services.
You are free to refuse our request for your personal information, with the understanding that we may be unable to provide you with some of your desired services.
We use very typical solutions and services to develop, maintain and improve the app and websites. Please note that we do not have control over how these services handle your data on their end, but we are determined to use only proven service providers who are compliant with the GDPR. Services we use include:
- Webflow: we host our website on Webflow and use their built-in features to manage sign-up forms.
- Form builders and social sharing tools: we use external tool such as ShareThis or OptinMonster to create forms or integrated social sharing buttons on our website or blog.
- Google Analytics: Google Analytics is used to track website activity such as session duration, pages per session, bounce rate etc. of individuals using the site, along with the information on the source of the traffic. We collect HeyLama website usage data to improve our services. We don’t sell or hand over this data to any third party. We look at aggregated analytics to identify improvement opportunities and do not trace down individual users.
- Segment: Segment is a popular tool used to route data to analytics tools. We use Segment to route your data to the analytics tools we use. Your personal data is not share - we do it only to understand how our users use our website or app in order to improve it and offer a great user experience.
- Google and Facebook retargeting: HeyLama websites also have Google and Facebook retargeting pixels to help us build an audience of people who could benefit from our product and services. Our mission is to help our users learn languages and we want to be able to reach out to them once we launch new features or new languages in the future. We do it in a fair and respectful manner.
- Customer.io: if you choose to sign up for our newsletter on the HeyLama websites, we use Customer.io to store your email address and send out regular newsletters. As stated, we never hand over your emails to anyone else. You also have a right to opt-out of our newsletter at any moment.
- Whereby: if you participate in any of the live streaming sessions hosted by Whereby, recordings in shape of screenshots and video are taken for future evaluation, training, and to provide you with thumbnails of past sessions.
- Zendesk: We use Zendesk to provide you with customer service.
How We Use Your Information
https://www.heylama.com may use your information for the following purposes:
- Providing and maintaining our Service, as well as monitoring the usage of our Service.
- For other purposes. HeyLama GmbH will use your information for data analysis to identify usage trends or determine the effective of our marketing campaigns when reasonable. We will use your information to evaluate and improve our Service, products, services, and marketing efforts.
- To contact you. HeyLama GmbH will contact you by email or another form of electronic communication related to the functions, products, services, or security updates ONLY when necessary or reasonable.
- To update you with news, general information, special offers, new services, and events.
- Marketing and promotional initiatives. HeyLama GmbH will use non-specific information gathered from you in order to improve our marketing efforts.
- Targeted advertising. Your Personal Data will be used to improve advertising efforts that are relevant to your specific interests.
- Administration information. Your Personal Data will be used as part of the operation of our website Administration practices.
You own your personal data and have the right to do the following:
- Withdraw your consent at any time. Users have the right to withdraw consent where they have previously given their consent to the processing of their Personal Data.
- Object to processing of their Data. Users have the right to object to the processing of their Data if the processing is carried out on a legal basis other than consent. Further details are provided in the dedicated section below.
- Access your Data. Users have the right to learn if Data is being processed by the Owner, obtain disclosure regarding certain aspects of the processing and obtain a copy of the Data undergoing processing.
- Verify and seek rectification. Users have the right to verify the accuracy of their Data and ask for it to be updated or corrected.
- Restrict the processing of your Data. Users have the right, under certain circumstances, to restrict the processing of their Data. In this case, the Owner will not process their Data for any purpose other than storing it.
- Have your Personal Data deleted or otherwise removed. Users have the right, under certain circumstances, to obtain the erasure of their Data from the Owner.
- Receive your Data and have it transferred to another controller. Users have the right to receive their Data in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format and, if technically feasible, to have it transmitted to another controller without any hindrance. This provision is applicable provided that the Data is processed by automated means and that the processing is based on the User’s consent, on a contract which the User is part of or on pre-contractual obligations thereof.
- Lodge a complaint. Users have the right to bring a claim before their competent data protection authority.
Your continued use of HeyLama website or the HeyLama app will be regarded as acceptance of our practices around privacy and personal information. If you have any questions about how we handle user data and personal information, feel free to contact us at hello[at]heylama.app.
This policy is effective as of 1 June 2021.